CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 28, 2008

Warning!! this is not a happy post


Alright bare with me as I get out some of the things I am feeling! Last Monday I was talking to my husband as we crossed paths during the shift change at work (I was getting off, he was coming in) Anywho he told me they werent flying that day and of course I asked why! We are the United States Air Force afterall its kind of what we do. His response was something that has unfortunatley become common place to me, "one of the crew chiefs killed himself last night"

Why as the Air Force are we losing more troops to suicide than we are to combat? Why does the armed forces choose to put us through some of the most difficult situations a human can ever be put through and then detach us away from our support system....our families, and I am not talking about going to the desert. Of course you can not fight the war from your home town but we can train closer to home. My job is all over the place....and I am constantly hearing friends say that they want to be near their family. I have friends at Nellis who want to be here in Florida, does it make any sense to you?! It's no wonder we are a depressed lonely bunch of people......I hate to say it but I envy my brother who get to come home in September!! I have been gone for four years with no light at the end of my tunnel......and then the AF wonders why we lose hope......I love being in the Air Foce and I love serving my country but good Lord......SEND US HOME!!!

9 comments:

Emily B said...

I'm sure grateful for all you do for us, Liz. I didn't realize there was such a high suicide rate. Why DO they have to send you guys all over the place. They should be catering to you guys for all you do for us.

Andy said...

I agree. You should put in for a transfer to Creech.

That would be significantly closer.

Liz Prisbrey said...

I am so sorry you have to deal with suicide on top of everything else your family is going through out there! You are right. Why can't you train at Nellis? That doesn't seem very logical to me. But regardless, your family would be there for you no matter where you are! Keep smiling! We all appreciate everything you do!

Sarah and Val said...

Absolutely!! We so wish you were here. When can you put in for a transfer? Is that possible? Love you, Mom

Matt said...

I can tell you hate being so far. I would hate missing out too. ride it out , realize that everything passes. We love you and are proud of you and your military career.

Christa said...

Hey girl- yeah, haven't been on here too long. I'm still trying to get the hang of things! Your little guy is getting so big- I'm scared... I know I will blink and Ashlyn will be that big!!! YIKES.
Sorry about the bummer news for you guys. Keep your head up.

Becky and Ethan+4 said...

I know exactly what you mean!! I am having a pretty crappy Air Force day myself, I mean Ethan is on a tight AEF, which as you know means he will do a, now, six month deployment every 18 months and I'm supposed to just sit back and wait while they put on on a long housing list, and wait for them to return our travel voucher money to us, are you kidding me, not to mention my newest rant which is that gas prices are ridiculous and everyone else in the world has the option to go find a more lucrative job but not us were locked into what was already a crappy salary and now we can't afford to live, they either need to set up a gas allowance or let people out of their contracts to go find a career that will support the needs of their family with the ever rising BS!

John and Heather Davis said...

I agree, why cant you train at Nellis????

Cassidy said...

oh my goodness that is crazy. I never thought about so much suicide in the air force. It makes sence how you put it! I sure couldn't do it and and admire you for that. It will be an awesome day when you get to come home! We would love to see you! Thank goodness you have this blog!